Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chicken Veggie Casserole

This was another of my childhood favorites. This is not a quick dinner. It takes a while to get all the veggies cooked and it takes a few pans, but it is so delicious. If you have a large family, or a very hungry hubby, use a 9x13 pan. When I make it for me and Scott, I usually use two 8x8's and freeze one. When I make this I keep a colander in the sink to drain everything, and a large bowl to mix it all together.
  • 1 12 oz bag of curly noodles, cooked and drained
  • 2 12.5 oz cans chicken in water, break up the large chunks into bite size bits, you can use leftover chicken if you have it, just cut it up small.
  • 1 onion sauteed in 2 TB butter (I usually just put this in the microwave and let it go for a few minutes, stirring a few times, until the onion is translucent.
  • 4-8 cups cooked vegetables. You can use any combo of sliced carrots, brocolli, peas and corn. I like a lot of veggies in mine, so I usually do a full 8 cups of goodness.
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 2 cups Cheese Sauce
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Cheese Sauce

  • 1/4 cup butter melted in a small sauce pan
  • 1/2 cup flour, added slowly and whisked together
  • 2 cups warm milk, stir with a whisk until it is boiling,
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, mozerella or jack cheese, adding a little at at time and stirring until it is melted.

Mix everything together in a large bowl and spread in a 9x13 pan (or 2 8x8's). Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350, or until heated through. If you freeze half of this, thaw it in the fridge at least 12 hours before you put it in the oven.

No comments: