Sunday, August 3, 2008

Chicken and Veggie Soup

I know most people don't make soup in the summer. It is too hot. But, today I didn't really feel good, I kept getting the chills (even with a sweater and my slippers on) and chicken soup just sounded good. So, I came up with this recipe for dinner, and I was pretty happy with the results.

2 TB butter (could use olive oil)
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks*
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth/stock
2 1/2-3 cups water
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed*
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped*
2 cups-ish carrots, chopped*
1/2 tea basil
1/2 tea fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tea cumin more to taste

*These don't need to be cut up too small, about 3/4"-1" cubes/pieces.

In a large stockpot melt the butter, and saute the onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside. Add the chicken stock, cream of chicken soup and water and bring to a boil. When the soup is boiling, add the vegetables and spices. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the veggies are tender, 12-15 minutes. (The potatoes will cook faster than the celery and carrots. I like my carrots and celery still crisp, so I put all the veggies in at the same time. If you want them cooked through, add the celery and carrots to the soup a few minutes before the potatoes.)

This was the first time that I had ever used cumin. It has a smoky/earthy flavor that was unexpected, but still tasty. It kind of tasted like it was going to be spicy, but it wasn't hot, just... flavorful. When I was halfway done with dinner, I thought I should have added a bay leaf. Maybe next time.

No comments: