Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Saucy Chops

When I was growing up, this was one of my absolute favorite meals. I particularly liked the onions on top, and my mom would sometimes cook extra onions for me. It is great with rice and a side of applesauce. Apples and pork go great together! Sorry there isn't a picture, I had devoured it before I remembered.

1 large onion
1 TB butter
6 pork chops, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup water + 1 chicken bullion cube
1/2 cup ketchup
2-3 Tea Worchestershire sauce

Slice the onion into six slices. In an electric frying pan, or large skillet with a lid, melt the butter and cook the onion slices for a few minutes on each side until tender. (Use toothpicks to hold the rings together if necessary.) Remove from pan and brown both sides of the pork chops, adding a little extra butter if necessary.

While the chops are browning, heat the soup, water, bullion, ketchup and worchestershire sauce in a sauce pan, until mostly smooth. After you turn the chops over, put an onion slice on top of each chop, and pour the sauce over everything. (You might want to lift the chops up a little so some sauce gets under each one.) Cover and cook for 45-60 minutes, depending on how thick your chops are. If you have a meat thermometer, it should register at 170 degrees. Enjoy!

*I made these a few weeks ago with thick Costco pork chops, they are more than an inch thick and it took an hour to cook. If they are just regular 1/2"-3/4" chops, 45 minutes will do it. I usually make brown rice with these, it takes about 45 minutes to cook, and then everything is done at the same time.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Oooo I'll have to try these, I love pork chops and I'm always looking for a new recipe for them. :) Thanks!