Friday, May 2, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This one isn't necessarily one for when you are short on time. But if you have cooked chicken already available it is pretty fast. I canned some chicken in pint jars and used that, it worked perfectly, so I'd imagine that store bought canned chicken would work as well. Sorry I don't have a picture, but I ALWAYS serve this when we have company and it ALWAYS gets rave reviews.

4 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I normally do a pounds' worth, so it's probably less than 4 cups- if you need to serve more people, add more chicken to make the soup go further)
48-oz canned great northern white beans (I think navy beans would work too)
2 medium onions, chopped (I just do one)
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 crushed garlic cloves
2-4 cans chopped green chiles
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
6 cups chicken broth (5 cans)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese

For tender chicken: Cook chicken with one cup of water in crock-pot, 6-7 hours prior (so it will shred)

Combine all ingredients and simmer.

Serve with:
Lime chips (crumble into the soup)
Monterey Jack cheese (sprinkled in the soup)
Lime juice
Avocado
Cilantro

Serves: 6

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Wow, I have never tried something like that. Sounds good:)