Friday, August 8, 2008

Mom's Cornbread

I am not sure who's Mom's recipie this is, but it has been in my family for a long time. At least as far back as my great grandpa. He used to have it for breakfast. He would put it into a bowl, while it was still piping hot and pour cold milk on it, and sprinkle with sugar. This was one of my favorite breakfast's growing up. The key is to eat it fast enough that the corn bread is still warm, and hasn't dissolved into crumbs. I made it to go with my leftover Chicken Jambalaya from the other day. It was awesome. (Not my pic... I stole it from Google.)


Mom's Cornbread
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 TB lemon juice)
1/2 tea soda
1/2 tea salt
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
When I was little, my mom didn't have a microwave, so she would put a metal bowl on the stove on low to melt the butter, and then mix everything else into it. I still do it this way, just because that is how my mom did it. While the butter is melting mix the soda and the buttermilk together. Stir the sugar, egg and buttermilk into the melted butter, and then add the cornmeal, flour and salt. Mix until just combined and bake in a greased 8x8 pan at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until the edges are just a little tiny bit crispy. (This recipie can easily be doubled to a 9x13.)

1 comment:

Erika said...

mmm I want to try this. :)