Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chicken Jambalaya

I was looking through my Joy of Cooking book the other day, and decided to try out this new recipie (with a few modifications). I am not sure what got into me, but I have been really into cooking new things lately! I have never had Jambalaya before, but I really liked it, though it was a little too spicy for me. Next time I make it I will use a milder sausage, or maybe ham instead of the Chorizo. (You could add shrimp to this as well, if you are into sea food. I hate sea food, but the Joy Of Cooking God's say it's good, so I had to pass on the info.) It was an easy and very filling meal. You could serve this with tortilla's, cornbread, cheese sprinkled on top or whatever you like. It turned out way better than I expected. Enjoy!


In a large pot heat 2 TB olive oil or butter
Add 3 Large Chicken Breasts* cut into chunks and seasoned with salt and pepper
Cook, turning often until browned on all sides.

Add 12 ounces sliced Chorizo sausage (next time I'll use smoked ham for less heat) and brown. Remove the meat to a plate and cover, add veggies to the drippings in the pot and cook until tender, 7-8 minutes

1 cup chopped onion
1 medium green pepper diced
1/2 cup diced celery
1 clove garlic, minced

Add 1 cup instant brown rice (or you could use regular long grain white rice)
2 TB tomato paste
1 tea crushed red pepper flakes

Stir until everything is evenly coated, and then add
3 cups boiling water
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes in juice
3/4 tea salt
1/4 thyme
1/2 tea black pepper
1 bay leaf

Return the chicken and sausage to the pot, and cook, covered over medium low heat for 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through. Then uncover and let the sauce simmer until it thickens up a little bit. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
*I used three large Costco sized chicken breasts, I think that is probably 4 or 5 regular grocery store sized, or you could use thighs or whatever chicken/turkey you prefer.
PS- After you crush up the almost perfectly crushed red pepper, don't rub your eyes with your fingers. It will burn for 20 minutes.

No comments: