Friday, May 9, 2008

My Favorite Sugar Cookie

I have tried lots of sugar cookie recipes and none of them compare to this one. I used to make this growing up and finally typed up the recipe.

My Favorite Sugar Cookie (From Better Home and Garden Step by Step cook book)

½ cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
¼ cup milk
½ tsp vanilla
2 ¼ cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg (or ground mace)

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla. Stir in baking powder, salt, nutmeg and flour until soft dough forms. Chill for 1 hour (optional). You may need to add more flour depending on where you live. Roll out on a floured surface about 1/8 to ¼ inch thick. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375 for 7-8 minutes for thin cookies and 10-12 minutes for thicker cookies. Enjoy:) I use my cinnamon roll frosting for these cookies.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Mmmmmmm! I made these and the texture is PERFECT! I think I'd use less nutmeg next time, but my friend likes the nutmeg. Thanks for the recipe.

Bonnie said...

I am so glad you like them. I like nutmeg but ginger gets to me. I usually use less ginger in things. Glad you liked them.

Erika said...

I made these without nutmeg this time. I used 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp almond flavoring. Turned out perfect!!