Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Oriental Veggie Salad

I didn't take an original photo and thought this one I found online was too pretty not to post with this. The link is here for this photo which I think you will like for some more salad combinations as well.
I recently mistakenly made this recipe up for a luncheon and candle party at a friend's house. I took it anyway, even though I was unsure because it didn't have any meat in it. Surprisingly, it had rave reviews and so I thought I would post it here. Hope you may like it!

Oriental Veggie Salad

Salad:

1 romaine heart, chopped up (or one bag of romaine lettuce)
1 1/2 c. coleslaw mix w/ purple & white cabbage and shredded carrots (or finely shredded carrots and cabbage)
1/3 c. toasted almond slivers or slices (blanched almonds)
1/2 c. thin tortilla strips

Dressing:

1/3 c. vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. horseradish or lemon curd
1/4 c. spanish or green onion, finely diced
1 c. canola oil

To make dressing, combine everything but the oil in a blender or food processor and process until liquified.

Continue to blend and slowly drizzle in the oil until blended.

To be really authentic, make coleslaw with the cabbage and the dressing first and top it with the lettuce, almonds and tortilla strips.

I've had good results by layering first the romaine then the cabbage, almonds, carrots and dressing.

Time Saver Note: If you don't have time to make the dressing above, although its really tasty, then I suggest using Ken's Steakhouse Asian Sesame with Ginger & Soy instead. It's a great oriental dressing but it will give the salad a slightly different taste than the dressing above. It will still be good.

No comments: